Performance Monitoring and Accountability 2020 (PMA2020) is a research project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and implemented by the Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health in collaboration with the JHU Water Institute and in-country partner universities and research institutes.
PMA2020 is designed to facilitate annual progress reporting in support of the goals and principles of Family Planning 2020 (FP2020). The project supports nationally representative household and facility surveys that utilize a mobile-assisted data collection and dissemination system to produce low-cost and rapid-turnaround data. PMA2020 data are used to routinely update national health indicators currently in 11 countries in Africa and Asia.
Program countries include: Ghana, DR Congo (Kinshasa and Kongo Central), Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Niger, Burkina Faso, Indonesia, India (Rajasthan), and Cote d'Ivoire.
The Francophone Communications Research Assistant will assist the Communication Officer and Communication Specialist in executing the communication strategy and work plan for Performance Monitoring and Accountability 2020 (PMA2020). The Research Assistant will provide communications support to PMA2020 program activities in Baltimore and for designated program countries in the Francophone region. The Research Assistant will draft content for PMA’s internal website, external website, and social media sites (Facebook and Twitter). He/she will help produce user-friendly, accurate, timely and well-written French information and materials and disseminate them to appropriate audiences in both print and electronic formats. Given the position’s portfolio will include supporting the PMA2020 French-speaking countries, strong French language skills are required.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Assist project staff in the production and dissemination of a variety of web and print products.
- Writing blogposts and news stories for web content.
- Creating and/or conducting analysis of web and social media content.
- Identify new channels for innovative dissemination and promotion of project materials and results, specifically relevant for Francophone countries.
- Coordination and logistics support for PMA2020-sponsored events and annual meetings.
- Understand donor sensitivities and branding requirements.
- Must be a Master’s student at Johns Hopkins, with experience in communications and/or media, survey research and design, mHealth, and/or research program coordination,
- Professional working proficiency in both French and English is required.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and adept at juggling multiple assignments to meet deadlines.
- An interest in global reproductive health; water, sanitation and hygiene; nutrition; and/or maternal and child health.
- Must be a fast learner with independent problem-solving ability, attention to detail, and strong communication skills.
- Must be able to work quickly and independently, as the environment is fast-paced with many moving parts.
- Proficient in Adobe InDesign and Illustrator (or willing to learn).
- Experience with web design, and/or social media a plus.
- Position is based in Baltimore (with some work being remotely).
How to Apply:
This position will typically require 10-15 hours per week, depending on work load, and is flexible to accommodate student’s schedule. Interested applicants should send a resume with a cover letter to Margaret.email@example.com.